What is Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
ILL borrows books, microforms, audiovisual items, theses/dissertations, music scores and other materials that are needed but are not available in any JMU Libraries collections. Allow at least 4-8 business days for arrival. (Items that have to travel from further geographic locations take longer.)
What delivery location do I choose when registering for Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
- Carrier Library = Pick up materials at the Ask The Library Desk, main lobby of Carrier Library
- Rose Library = Pick up materials at the Ask The Library Desk, main lobby of Rose Library
- Memorial Hall = Pick up materials at the ETMC-Educational Technology & Media Center, Room 7260
- Music Library = Pick up materials in the Music Building, Room B59
- Dept. MSC Delivery = Faculty and Staff can have materials delivered to office MSC
- Distance Learner = Materials shipped to home address, if you qualify as a Distance Learner
What about overdue Interlibrary Loan materials?
- Overdue e-mail reminders are sent when the item becomes overdue. If the item becomes 7 days overdue, ILL privileges will be blocked. Once blocked, if you do not contact us, you will be billed the NEXT BUSINESS DAY for $110 replacement cost and a non-refundable $15 processing fee for each item. Contact the ILL Borrowing staff at 540.568.6680 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a problem returning ILL items.
How much does Interlibrary Loan (ILL) cost?
- At this time, JMU Libraries provide subsidized Interlibrary Loan service for students, staff and faculty up to $45.00 per request. The patron is responsible for any costs exceeding $45.00, and you will be notified BEFORE we order.
- In order to maintain a free service for our patrons, please request only items that you know you will use.
How many Interlibrary Loan (ILL) requests may I submit?
- JMU faculty, students and staff may request an unlimited number of items through Interlibrary Loan (ILL). However, at times of high demand we may find it necessary to place some requests on hold temporarily. All requests will be processed as staff time permits.
- Interlibrary Loan staff reserve the right to refer requests beyond a reasonable level to a Liaison Librarian for assistance in finding materials within JMU Libraries.